The Bardone-Cone Lab
- Dr. Bardone-Cone and Lauren Wash will be presenting a talk entitled “Examining psychosocial factors in relation to body dissatisfaction in college men” at the International Conference on Eating Disorders (March 2024). Dr. Bardone-Cone will also be presenting a poster at the conference entitled “On hiatus: Who is helped by taking a break from social media?”
- Lauren Wash proposed her master’s thesis titled “Examining the Role of Body Shame in the Relationship Between Multidimensional Perfectionism and Eating Disorder Symptoms in Black College Women” (December 2023).
- Dr. Bardone-Cone completed an interview with the Australian Broadcasting Company’s “All in the Mind” program on perfectionism & eating disorders (November 2023).
- Dr. Bardone-Cone presented a talk entitled “Body Image” to the Minnesota Eating Disorders Journal Club at the University of Minnesota (November 2023).
- Dr. Bardone-Cone and Lauren Wash completed an interview with the Daily Tar Heel discussing a petition to remove calorie labels from UNC dining halls. The article was written by one of our new undergraduate research assistants Charlotte Wilkerson (October 2023).
- Dr. Bardone-Cone presented a talk entitled “Body image and disordered eating in diverse populations” to HGAPS (Helping Give Away Psychological Science) Speaker Series at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (October 2023).
- Emily Walsh proposed her dissertation, titled “Exploration of the Relationships Between Body Dissatisfaction and Sexual Experiences in a Diverse Sample of Adults: A Critical Theory-Guided, Multi-Method Approach.”
- Ale Miller completed her predoctoral internship at the UCSD Eating Disorders Center through the UCSD/VA Psychology Internship Training Program.
- Lauren Wash presented a talk titled “Examining the influence of body shame, shape concern, and weight concern on aspects of self-esteem among Black and White college women” at the International Conference on Eating Disorders (June 2023); her work was selected as a Student/Trainee/Early Career Top Paper Abstract.
- Camilla Feeley and Jordan Hillard are working on their honors theses related to body image and disordered eating (2023-2024).
- Dr. Bardone-Cone presented a talk titled “Varying operationalizations of physical, behavioral, and cognitive recovery in eating disorder recovery: Empirical support for a consensus definition” at the International Conference on Eating Disorders (June 2023).
- Dr. Bardone-Cone presented an invited webinar titled “How to Assess and Improve Body Image in Your Clients” for the National Center of Excellence for Eating Disorders (NCEED) (Training for Healthcare Professionals series) (April 2023).
- Dr. Bardone-Cone was selected as a Thorp Faculty Engaged Scholar, which is a 2-year experience supporting engaged scholarship (2023-2025).
Our lab is strongly committed to promoting diversity and considers an ideal scientific community to be one that includes a diverse representation of individuals at all academic levels. We are committed to training students and scientists of diverse backgrounds and conducting research that addresses topics related to diversity. We encourage students from backgrounds historically underrepresented to apply to our lab, including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and first-generation college students.